Whether you’re applying for a cabin crew position with a commercial airline or a private jet company, you’re sure to be asked about your definition of excellent customer service during your interview. This question is designed to gauge not only your customer service skills but also your ability to assess and deliver the level of service that our passengers expect and deserve.
To ace this question, you’ll want to give a response that demonstrates your understanding of the importance of delivering outstanding customer service while also highlighting the specific skills and traits that you bring to the table.
If you’re applying for a position as flight attendant, you can expect to be asked questions about your customer service experience and what excellent customer service means to you. Here’s how to answer this question and make a great impression on the interviewer.
Why do Interviewers Ask this Question about Customer Service?
Customer service is a critical component of the flight attendant role, and this question allows interviewers to gauge your understanding of what it takes to deliver outstanding service. They’re also looking to see if you have the skills and traits necessary to be successful in this role. After all, you will be representing yourself as the face of the company. You have to be able to not just handle but also excel at customer service.
The importance of delivering excellent customer service cannot be overemphasized in the airline industry. After all, the flight attendant is often the first and last person that a passenger interacts with during their flight. As such, it’s essential that you have the skills and traits necessary to provide exceptional customer service.
Some of the key skills that you’ll want to highlight include being able to stay calm under pressure, having a positive attitude, being able to handle difficult situations, and having strong communication skills. Additionally, you’ll want to make sure that you convey your passion for customer service and your commitment to providing a positive experience for every passenger.
When answering this question, it’s important to remember that the interviewer is looking for someone who has a deep understanding of what excellent customer service means and who can also deliver on that promise. Make sure that you showcase your skills and traits and explain how you will go above and beyond to ensure that every passenger has a great experience.
Also Read: How to Answer: Tell Me About Yourself
Answering the Interview Question: What does excellent customer service mean to you?
When you’re answering this question, it’s important to focus on both the technical and interpersonal aspects of customer service. For the technical side, you’ll want to mention things like being able to handle customer complaints in a professional manner or having a strong understanding of the company’s policies and procedures. On the interpersonal side, highlight qualities like empathy, patience, and a positive attitude.
1. Start by giving a brief overview of your customer service experience.
This is your chance to show the interviewer that you have relevant experience and that you know what excellent customer service looks like in practice. You might say something like, “I’ve been working in customer-facing roles for X years, and I’ve had the opportunity to give exceptional service to customers from all walks of life. Excellent customer service, to me, is meeting or exceeding the expectations of the customer.”
2. Give specific examples of times when you provided excellent customer service.
Now it’s time to back up your claims with specific examples. This is your chance to show the interviewer that you know how to put theory into practice. You might say something like, “I remember one time when a passenger was feeling unwell on a flight, and I went above and beyond to make sure they were comfortable and had everything they needed. I even stayed with them until paramedics arrived at the airport.”
3. Sum up why excellent customer service is important to you personally.
Finally, conclude your answer by sharing why giving excellent customer service is important to you on a personal level. This is an opportunity for you to show passion and enthusiasm for the role. You might say something like “I take a lot of pride in being able to help people; it’s one of the reasons why I chose this career path. It’s always been important for me to be able to give my best and exceed expectations.”
Here are some examples of how you might answer this question:
- “To me, excellent customer service means always putting the needs of the customer first. It’s about creating a positive experience for them from start to finish, whether that means going above and beyond to meet their needs or simply providing them with a friendly smile.
- “To me, excellent customer service means always putting the needs of the passenger first. It’s about being attentive and responsive to their needs and ensuring that they have a positive experience from start to finish.” You can also use this opportunity to share a specific example of a time when you went above and beyond to deliver exceptional customer service.
- “Excellent customer service is important to me because I know how it feels to be on the receiving end of poor service. I’ve been a passenger before, and I know how frustrating it can be when you’re not being taken care of. That’s why I’m passionate about giving excellent customer service myself – I never want anyone to feel like they’re not being heard or valued.”
- “I take a lot of pride in being able to help people, and that’s one of the reasons why I chose this career path. It’s always been important for me to give my best and exceed expectations.” You can conclude your answer by sharing a specific example of a time when you went above and beyond to provide exceptional customer service.
- “I remember a customer in the restaurant was very upset because she had to wait a long time for her food. I could tell she was about to leave, so I went above and beyond to make sure she got her food as quickly as possible. I even offered her a complimentary dessert for the inconvenience. Excellent customer service is important to me because it helps build relationships – when you take care of someone, they’re more likely to come back and recommend you to others.”
- Excellent customer service creates a positive experience for the customer and makes them want to repeat business with you. It’s about going above and beyond to meet their needs, even if it means going out of your way. It’s important to me because I know how frustrating it can be to receive poor service, and I never want anyone to feel that way.”
- “The airline industry is all about customer service. It’s important to me because I know that without our customers, we wouldn’t have a job. I always try to go above and beyond to make sure they’re happy. Whether it’s going out of my way to help with their luggage or accommodating special requests, I always try to do whatever I can to make their experience a positive one.”
- “Customer service is important to me because it’s an opportunity to build relationships and create repeat business. I always aim to exceed expectations and create a memorable experience for the customer that will make them want to fly with us again.”
What if I don’t have previous airline experience?
If you don’t have previous experience working in the airline industry, that’s okay. The interviewer is simply trying to gauge your customer service skills and how they might transfer to the role of cabin crew.
In this case, you can focus on giving examples of excellent customer service from any customer-facing roles that you’ve held in the past. Maybe you’ve worked in the restaurant, retail, or service industry and you can highlight a moment when you went above and beyond for a customer.
You can also share examples of times when you’ve provided excellent customer service in your personal life. Maybe you helped a neighbor with their grocery shopping or watched their kids for a few hours so they could get some much-needed rest. Whatever the example, make sure it’s specific and paints a picture of why excellent customer service is important to you.
Tips for Giving an Outstanding Answer
Here are a few tips that will help you deliver an outstanding answer to this question:
- Use specific examples to illustrate your point
- Highlight the skills and traits that you feel are important for excellent customer service
- Emphasize the importance of putting the needs of the passenger first
- Keep your answer concise and to the point
- Keep your answer positive, even if you’ve had some difficult experiences in the past.
By following these tips, you can give an answer that will impress the interviewer and demonstrate your commitment to providing excellent customer service.
What Not to Say to the Interviewer
When you’re answering this question, there are a few things that you’ll want to avoid saying.
- First, don’t focus solely on the technical aspects of customer service. Yes, it’s important to be able to handle customer complaints and understand company policies, but it’s equally important to have the interpersonal skills necessary to build rapport and create a positive experience for passengers.
- Additionally, avoid giving generic or vague answers. For example, simply saying “providing good customer service” is not enough. The interviewer wants to hear specifics about your skills and traits and how you will use them to deliver excellent customer service.
- Finally, steer clear of any negative comments about customer service or previous experiences. Even if you’ve had some difficult experiences in the past, always keep things positive.
Questions to Ask Yourself to Create a Good Answer
- What qualities do you feel are necessary for excellent customer service?
- Did you have any experience with a customer in your previous job where they were particularly pleased with the service you provided?
- How do you ensure that you always provide excellent customer service?
- What are some specific things that you do to ensure that every passenger has a positive experience?
- How do you handle difficult customer service situations?
- Why do you feel that excellent customer service is so important in the airline industry?
By asking yourself these questions, you can get a better understanding of what the interviewer is looking for and prepare an answer that will showcase your skills and experience.
Video: What is Excellent Customer Service?
Check out this video by Julia George of EXCREWNEXTCREW on YouTube. She shares details about the customer service question and how to answer it:
If you’re interviewing for a position as a flight attendant, be prepared to answer questions about your experience with giving excellent customer service. In your answer, start by giving an overview of your experience in customer-facing roles; then, give specific examples of times when you provided exemplary service; finally, share why giving great customer service is important to you on a personal level. With preparation and practice, you’ll be able to ace this question and impress the interviewer!
Customer service is one of the most important aspects of the cabin crew role so it’s no surprise that you’ll be asked about your definition of excellent customer service during your interview. By taking the time to prepare for this question, you can give an impressive answer that will demonstrate your commitment to outstanding customer service as well as the specific skills and traits that you bring to the table.