- Delta Air Lines has launched a direct flight service between New York Kennedy (JFK) and London Gatwick (LGW) airports, which is the first of its kind in over 15 years.
- The new service is operated using a Boeing 767-300 ER aircraft that can accommodate more than 200 passengers.
- This is an effort to provide an alternate destination for travelers heading to London and to compete with other airlines offering similar routes between these two popular cities.
- Amenities on board include Wi-Fi connectivity, audio and video streaming options, two cabins, and power outlets in every row, as well as complimentary meals and beverages.
- This expansion of Delta’s presence in London could have a positive effect on connecting flights from US domestic airports, potentially leading to an even larger flight network between the US and UK in the future.
April 10, 2023 – Delta Air Lines has announced the launch of a direct flight service between New York Kennedy (JFK) Airport and London Gatwick (LGW) Airport daily. This is the first time Delta has operated a service between these two cities in over 15 years. The flight will be operated using a Boeing 767-300 ER, which is capable of accommodating more than 200 passengers.
Also read: New York Layover Guide: Best Things to Do in 24 Hours
Heathrow Airport (LHR) is the usual go-to for business and leisure travelers due to its international hub status in London. Yet, Gatwick – London’s second-busiest airport – mainly traffics routes regionally or with leisure customers. Delta’s resurgence at this particular airway showcases a rising rivalry between the U.S. and UK on many popular flight paths.
On the other hand, New York Kennedy (JFK) is the busiest international gateway in the United States and is conveniently located for travelers from most locations. JFK also offers an extensive number of flights and destinations, as well as excellent connections with other US airports.
The new service is expected to be a big draw for business travelers looking to get between New York City and London while providing leisure passengers with more choices when traveling between these two major cities.
Delta Airlines Daily Flight Schedules Between New York Kenndy and London Gatwick
- Flight Number: DL62
Destination: New York to London departing
Schedule: 23:30PM to 12:00 PM (+1 day)
- Flight Number: DL63
Destination: London to New York departing
Schedule: 14:10 PM to 17:00 PM
The launch of this direct JFK-LGW route serves multiple purposes and objectives for Delta Air Lines.
- Firstly, it enables the airline to provide an alternate destination to travelers heading to London, who may not be able to get a desired slot at the heavily congested Heathrow Airport.
- Secondly, it serves as a competitive response to existing rivals who are already operating direct flights between JFK and LGW, such as British Airways and JetBlue.
- Finally, it allows Delta Air Lines to tap into the lucrative transatlantic market.
Delta Air Lines plans to offer an improved customer experience with this new service. The Boeing 767-300 ER aircraft boasts a variety of amenities, such as Wi-Fi connectivity, audio and video streaming options, two cabins – Economy and Comfort Plus – and power outlets in every row. The airline also promises to provide complimentary meals and beverages on all flights.
With the launch of this direct service between JFK and LGW, Delta Air Lines hopes to expand its presence in London and capture a larger share of the lucrative transatlantic market. Only time will tell if it succeeds in doing so.
This is great news for passengers who are looking for a convenient way to get from New York to London. This gives more options for people between the two cities and we could also see the airline expand service to the airport.
Delta’s new service could not only be beneficial for travelers traveling between JFK and LGW, but it could also give a lift to other routes in its network. Connections from domestic airports throughout the US would increase as well due to this new flight, which is always a plus for customers.
Furthermore, Delta Air Lines has mentioned that they plan on expanding their presence at Gatwick in the future, so if things go well with this launch we could even see more routes added in the coming years.