As a flight attendant applicant, you have probably come across the question, “How long do you expect to work for us if hired?” This cabin crew interview question can put you in a tight spot because you don’t want to sound too eager or set a time limit on your employment.
After all, a flight attendant career can sometimes be unpredictable. The work lifestyle also has a high attrition rate due to the stress and pressures of the job that not many people may be cut out for. The interviewer is looking for qualities that demonstrate commitment, reliability, and flexibility.
The best way to answer this question is with a response that expresses your enthusiasm for the role and commitment to staying as long as possible, without making any definitive promises about how long you plan to remain in the position.
You can say something like, “If I am hired, then I’m committed to going above and beyond in order to contribute positively to the airline’s success. I understand that the career of a flight attendant is unpredictable and I am willing to stay for as long as my skills are needed and can help the company.”
Here we share some more tips below when answering this question.
- Why the Recruiter is Asking the Question
- Variations of the Question
- How to Answer the Question about Work Tenure Expectations
- Avoid Providing a Number when Answering this Question!
- Sample Answers to the How Long Do You Expect to Work for Us if Hired?
- Tips for Answering the Question
- Questions to Ask Yourself to Help You Answer This Question
- Examples of Bad Answers
- Video: How Long do you Plan to Stay with Our Airline?
Why the Recruiter is Asking the Question
The recruiter is asking this question to assess your level of commitment and dedication to the role. They want to know that you are willing to put in the effort and stay for an extended period of time so that they don’t have to go through a lengthy recruitment process again.
The cabin crew job is a highly pressured and demanding role that requires flexibility, good customer service, the ability to handle difficult situations, and a great attitude toward passengers. And while there are many of those who aspire to become flight attendants, there’s also a high turnover rate due to the demanding nature of the job and many just can’t keep up with it.
The interviewer wants to make sure that you are committed and willing to stay with the company for a long period of time.
Variations of the Question
Other variations of this question include:
- How long do you plan to work for us if hired?
- What are your long-term career goals in this airline?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- How does this flight attendant job fit into your career plans?
- How long do you intend to work as a flight attendant?
- What is your desired tenure with our organization?
How to Answer the Question about Work Tenure Expectations
The following steps can help you come up with a suitable answer to this question:
1. Highlight your enthusiasm for the role: When answering this question, make sure to emphasize your desire and commitment to working in this field. Talk about how you are eager to contribute to the airline’s success and that you want to stay as long as possible.
2. Mention that you’re open to learning: You should also mention that you are open to learning new skills, adapting to new procedures, and taking on more responsibilities as your career progresses. This will show the interviewer that you are motivated and willing to grow with the airline.
3. Be honest about your long-term goals: You don’t have to commit to a specific amount of time, but you should be honest about your long-term goals and what your plans are after the flight attendant job. This will help the interviewer determine if this is an ideal fit for both of you.
4. Show flexibility: Finally, express that you are flexible with the timeframe and that your plans may change as time goes on. This will show that you’re open to opportunities that may arise in the future.
By following these tips, you can give a confident and well-thought-out answer to the interviewer’s question about how long you expect to work for them if hired. With this approach, recruiters will be more likely to see you as an ideal candidate for the role of a flight attendant.
Avoid Providing a Number when Answering this Question!
Just a reminder to all applicants, please do NOT give a timeline number! You don’t know if you’ll be able to stay for 1, 3, or 5 years because situations change. You might have a different manager or different company by then. You might also come across various challenges along the way. So don’t provide a specific number!
Research the company and the position, and make sure that the job is something you can commit to in the long term. But when answering this question, just express your enthusiasm and commitment to making a difference in the airline’s success!
Sample Answers to the How Long Do You Expect to Work for Us if Hired?
Here are some sample answers to this question:
- “I’m committed to working as long as possible with your airline and contributing positively to its success. I understand the demands of the job, but I am eager to learn and become an even better employee in the future.”
- “If I am hired, I plan on staying with you for a good while. My ultimate goal is to be successful in this field and continue learning new skills that will help me progress in my career. That being said, I understand that life can throw unexpected curveballs which could change my plans down the road.”
- “If given the opportunity, I’d love to work for your airline for a few years or more if circumstances allow it. I’m open to learning new skills that will help me grow and take on more responsibilities as time goes on. However, I am also flexible and understand that things may change in the future.”
- “If hired, I intend to stay with your organization for a significant amount of time. My goal is to be an asset to the team, build relationships with colleagues, and enhance my customer service skills. Above all, I am willing to work hard and make sure that your passengers have a memorable experience.”
- “I am excited about this position and the opportunity it represents. I am hoping to learn and grow as much as possible here and see myself as a long-term asset to the company.”
- “I am very excited about this opportunity and eager to succeed in this position. I am committed to delivering the best work I can, and I am open to exploring other opportunities for growth and development.”
- “I am committed to making a significant impact in this position, and I am open to exploring new opportunities as they arise.”
- “I believe that this position as a flight attendant is an excellent fit for my skills and experience. I am committed to working hard and making a positive impact within the company. As my career progresses, I would be open to evaluating new opportunities and growth potential within the company.”
These sample answers should help you prepare for this type of question during an interview process. Keep in mind that it’s important to show enthusiasm and commitment when answering this question as it will demonstrate your dedication toward the role.
Tips for Answering the Question
Here are some practical tips to guide you should you encounter this question in the job interview:
- Avoid sounding inflexible or overly committed, as this may make you appear to be a risky hire.
- Be honest and genuine in your answer.
- Focus on how you can contribute to the growth of the company.
- Be confident in your answer, and practice it beforehand to become comfortable with it.
- Keep your answers concise and to the point.
- Use positive language in your answers.
- Highlight any particular skills, experience, or attributes you have that make you stand out.
Questions to Ask Yourself to Help You Answer This Question
These questions will help you reflect on your own interests and motivations so that you can craft a unique answer to the question about how long you expect to work for them if hired.
- How committed am I to this position and the airline industry?
- What are my long-term career goals?
- What skills and experience do I bring to the role?
- What kind of impact can I make in this role? What opportunities for growth could arise with this position?
- How does this position fit into my career plans?
- What can I bring to the table in terms of growth and contribution to the airline company?
Please learn to self-reflect as it will help you answer this question better. It is important, to be honest, and genuine in your response as well.
Examples of Bad Answers
Now that we’ve given some great answers, here are some examples of bad ones that you should definitely avoid as they show weakness in the answer:
- “I plan to stay in this position forever.”
- “I don’t know. I haven’t really given it much thought yet.”
- “I’m not sure, but I’ll leave when something better comes along.”
- “As long as the pay is good, I don’t have any plans to move on.”
- “I’m not sure, I’m just here for this job.”
- “I don’t know – I’ll see how it goes.”
- “I’m just looking for something to hold me over for a while.”
- “I don’t know – I haven’t really thought about it.”
These responses won’t do you any favors and will likely put off potential employers. Remember to be realistic about your expectations for the future and focus on how you can contribute to the success of the organization.
Video: How Long do you Plan to Stay with Our Airline?
Check out this video by KISSS Career Coaching as they discuss how to answer the question.
This video talks about why this question is being asked (it’s an investment of the company to hire you and train you). It also provides helpful advice on how to handle this type of question.
- Practice your answers beforehand to become comfortable with them.
- Be honest and genuine in your answer.
- Focus on how you can contribute to the growth of the company.
- Be confident in your answer and believe that you are the right person for the job.
The question of how long you expect to work for a company might seem straightforward, but it can reveal a lot about your intentions and dedication. At the same time, it provides you with a chance to showcase your commitment, flexibility, and long-term goals.
By following the tips provided above, you can approach this question with confidence and give a suitable answer that will impress the recruiter.
Remember to do your research, understand the company culture and goals, and bring out your unique strengths, qualities, and experiences that make you the right candidate for the job.
With dedication and a positive attitude, you can conquer the interview process and launch an exciting career in the aviation industry as a flight attendant.