The American Airlines LAX terminal is located in Terminal 4, Terminal 5, and Terminal B (Tom Bradley International Terminal) of Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). LAX Terminal 4 is exclusively for American Airlines (AA) flights and there are some flights from AA that are used in LAX Terminal 5 and in Tom Bradley International Terminal (Terminal B).
Also Read: Cabin Crew Layover – Maximizing Hotel Layovers as a Flight Attendant
Many of you may be wondering which area to depart from if you have a flight with American Airlines in Los Angeles, that is why it is important to know the details of which Terminal number in the huge LAX airport you must go to. This is the same for those who might be picking up guests arriving at LAX airport via American Airlines. Although it shouldn’t be a big problem since these terminals are just within walking distance from each other, it is still best to know which one to go to, so you wouldn’t have to waste any time.
- What is American Airlines?
- What is Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)?
- List of LAX Terminals for American Airlines
- American Airlines Check-In Counters at LAX Airport
- American Airlines LAX Terminal Flight Departures
- American Airlines LAX International Arrivals
- LAX Terminal Amenities
- Things to Expect at LAX Airport and Your American Airlines Flight
- Tips for Navigating LAX Airport
- Video: Departing Los Angeles via LAX Airport Terminal 4
- Video: Arrival at LAX Airport Terminal 5 after Flying via American Airlines
- Video: Walkthrough of LAX Terminal B (Tom Bradley International Terminal – TBIT)
- Map of LAX Terminal 4
- Map of LAX Terminal 5
- Map of LAX Terminal B
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. What Terminal is American Airlines at LAX?
- 2. How do I get to my Terminal at LAX?
- 3. Where can I find my Gate number?
- 4. How early should I arrive for my flight?
- 5. What is the difference between LAX Terminal 4, LAX Terminal 5, and LAX Terminal B in terms of American Airlines flights?
- 6. What are the dining options at LAX Terminal 4?
- 7. What are the shopping options at LAX Terminal 4?
- 8. I went to the wrong Terminal for my American Airlines flight, can I easily transfer to other terminals?
- 9. Are there parking slots for my car at LAX Airport?
- Contact Information
- Google Map Location
What is American Airlines?
American Airlines is one of the world’s largest airline by fleet size and revenue, and it is a founding member of the Oneworld alliance. The airline operates an extensive international and domestic network, with scheduled flights throughout North America, the Caribbean, South America, Europe, and Asia/Pacific.
The airline was founded in 1926 as a merger between two smaller airlines, and it has since grown to become one of the most recognizable brands in the aviation industry. American Airlines is a subsidiary of the AMR Corporation, which also operates American Eagle Airlines and Envoy Air. American Airlines is headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas, near Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.
What is Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)?
Los Angeles International Airport is the primary airport serving the Greater Los Angeles Area, and it is one of the busiest airports in the world. The airport is located in the southwestern portion of Los Angeles, California, and it covers over 3,500 acres of land. LAX is operated by Los Angeles World Airports, an agency of the city of Los Angeles.
LAX has 9 passenger terminals, and it serves as a hub for American Airlines and Delta Air Lines. The airport also handles a large number of international flights, and it is the world’s third-busiest airport in the world by passenger traffic.
- Physical Address: Los Angeles World Airports, 1 World Way, Los Angeles, CA 90045
- Official Name: Los Angeles International Airport
- Airport Code: LAX
- Ownership / Operator: Los Angeles World Airports, a proprietary department of the City of Los Angeles
Please check out this overview of the different terminals inside LAX Airport
List of LAX Terminals for American Airlines
You might easily get lost given that LAX airport has a total of 9 Terminals. Check the list below to find out which LAX Terminal your flight departs from or arrives in if it is an American Airlines-operated flight.
- LAX Terminal 4 – All flights departing and arriving are exclusively American Airlines (AA). Check-in and flight departures by AA are operated here.
- LAX Terminal 5 – Some flights departing and arriving are exclusively American Airlines (AA), while others may be operated by other airlines such as Air Canada, JetBlue, and Spirit Airlines. There are also check-in counters by AA here.
- LAX Terminal B (Tom Bradley International Terminal) – There are some flight departures by American Airlines in TBIT Terminal B. Check-in counters are located in Terminal 4 and 5, while international arrivals and departures by AA are operated here. Most of the airlines handled by LAX Terminal B include Aer Lingus, Aeroflot, Air China, Air France, Air New Zealand, Air Tahiti Nui, Air Transat, All Nippon Airways, Allegiant2, American Airlines, Asiana Airlines, Austrian Airlines, Avianca, British Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, China Airlines, China Eastern, China Southern, Copa, Condor, Delta Air Lines, El Al Israel Airlines, Emirates Airlines, Etihad, EVA Airlines, Fiji Airways, Finnair, French Bee, Hainan Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Iberia Airlines, ITA Airways, Japan Airlines, JetBlue, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Korean Airlines, LATAM, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Norse, Norwegian Air, Philippine Airlines, QANTAS, Qatar Airways, SAUDIA, Scandinavian Airlines, Sichuan Airlines, Singapore, Sun Country, SWISS, Turkish Airlines, Viva Aerobus, Virgin Atlantic, Volaris, Xiamen Airlines, and ZIPAIR.
As you can see from the list above, if you have an American Airlines flight departing from or arriving at LAX airport, chances are it will either be at Terminal 4 or Terminal 5 or Terminal B.
American Airlines Check-In Counters at LAX Airport
The American Airlines check-in counters are located in Terminal 4 and Terminal 5. If you’re traveling with checked baggage, proceed to these Terminals in LAX airport only.
American Airlines LAX Terminal Flight Departures
American Airlines flight departures in LAX Airport are located in Terminal 4, Terminal 5, and Terminal B.
American Airlines LAX International Arrivals
As for flight arrivals from international flights, you can find this at LAX Terminal B.
LAX Terminal Amenities
Once you’ve checked in and made your way through security, there are plenty of amenities available to make your wait for your flight as pleasant as possible.
You’ll find a variety of food and drink options, including fast food restaurants, cafes, and bars. There is also a duty-free shop if you’re looking to do some last-minute souvenir shopping.
If you need to kill some time before your flight, there are also several shops selling books, magazines, and other items.
If you’re traveling with young children, there is a children’s play area available, as well.
Things to Expect at LAX Airport and Your American Airlines Flight
- Los Angeles International Airport is a large and busy airport, so expect crowds and long lines.
- The airport has a lot of security checkpoints, so allow extra time to get through the airport.
- There are plenty of restaurants and shops at LAX, so you can find something to eat or drink before your flight.
- The airport also has a number of amenity options, such as massage chairs, showers, and lounges.
- The best way to navigate LAX is by using the airport’s mobile app, which can help you find your way around the airport. If you’re traveling with carry-on luggage only, you can use the self-service check-in kiosks located throughout the airport.
- There are also plenty of helpful staff members located throughout the airport, so don’t hesitate to ask for directions if you need help. American Airlines at LAX Terminal Los Angeles International Airport
- The American Airlines check-in counters are located in Terminal 4. If you’re traveling with checked baggage, proceed to the counter on the lower level. For domestic flights, the check-in counters open three hours before departure and close one hour before departure.
- For international flights, the check-in counters open four hours before departure and close two hours before departure.
- You can also check in for your flight online, starting 24 hours before departure. Online check-in is available until one hour before departure for domestic flights and two hours before departure for international flights. Once you’ve checked in, proceed to security screening. The TSA PreCheck lanes are located in Terminal 4 near the American Airlines check-in counters. After clearing security, make your way to your gate.
- Your boarding pass will list your assigned gate number.
Video: Departing Los Angeles via LAX Airport Terminal 4
Here’s a walk-through video featuring a vlogger who recorded his experience walking through terminal from check-in to boarding. He is on a flight via AA and needs to depart from Terminal 4. This will give you an idea if you have flights on American Airlines in LA.
Video: Arrival at LAX Airport Terminal 5 after Flying via American Airlines
On the other hand, here’s a video guide to help you if you are wondering which Terminal you are going to arrive at at LAX Airport via American AIrlines. The vlogger shares his experience walk-through of deplaning from an American Airlines plane and arriving at LAX Terminal 4.
Video: Walkthrough of LAX Terminal B (Tom Bradley International Terminal – TBIT)
Here’s a video of the LAX Terminal B which features the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT). You can see the uploader of the video share his experiences and what you can expect when you are in this side of the airport
Map of LAX Terminal 4
There is an ongoing renovation in Terminal 4 with a $1.6 billion budget. Once completed, there will be a unified departure hall for Terminal 4 and Terminal 5. A new south concourse will also be built in Terminal 4, with additional hold rooms, concessions, restrooms, and a bus gate for both domestic and international flights.
Map of LAX Terminal 5
LAX Airport Terminal 5 is the new home of JetBlue and Spirit, as well as some American Airlines flights. The bus to the American Eagle terminal also departs from here. Recently, this terminal underwent a $229 million modernization that includes 19 new dining and shopping options, an expanded ticketing lobby, additional security screening checkpoints, and state-of-the-art baggage carousels.
Map of LAX Terminal B
Millions of people travel through the Tom Bradley International Terminal (Terminal B) each year. A $1.9 billion updating in 2013 resulted in a first-rate experience for all who utilize it. The brand new West Gates (Gates 201-225), equipped with the latest technology and innovations, opened to the public in May 2021.
Tom Bradley International Terminal has a “Great Hall” in the center that has high-end dining, retail shopping, posh airline club lounges, and top travel conveniences like pet relief areas, nursing rooms, and kids’ play areas. The design aesthetic is stunning and pays homage to the beautiful sights of California as well as the diversity of our world.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some FAQs about the American Airlines LAX Terminals:
1. What Terminal is American Airlines at LAX?
American Airlines has flights departing from all terminals at LAX Airport. The terminal your flight departs from depends on the destination of your flight, as well as the time of day and day of the week.
2. How do I get to my Terminal at LAX?
The best way to get to your terminal at LAX is by using the airport’s free shuttle buses. These shuttle buses run every 10 minutes and make stops at all terminals, parking structures, and hotel shuttles areas.
3. Where can I find my Gate number?
Your boarding pass will list your assigned gate number. You can also find this information on the arrivals and departure boards located throughout the airport.
4. How early should I arrive for my flight?
For domestic flights, American Airlines recommends that you arrive at the airport 2 hours before your scheduled departure time. For international flights, they recommend that you arrive 3 hours before your scheduled departure time.
5. What is the difference between LAX Terminal 4, LAX Terminal 5, and LAX Terminal B in terms of American Airlines flights?
LAX Terminal 4 is the primary terminal for American Airlines’ domestic and international flights. LAX Terminal 5 is the new home of JetBlue and Spirit, as well as some American Airlines flights. LAX Terminal B (Tom Bradley International Terminal) is where all American Airlines international flights depart from.
6. What are the dining options at LAX Terminal 4?
There are a variety of dining options available at LAX Terminal 4, including grab-and-go snacks, fast food, sit-down restaurants, and bars.
7. What are the shopping options at LAX Terminal 4?
There are a variety of shopping options available at LAX Terminal 4, including newsstands, gift shops, and duty-free stores.
8. I went to the wrong Terminal for my American Airlines flight, can I easily transfer to other terminals?
Yes, you can easily transfer to other terminals at LAX. You can simply walk between Terminals 4, 5, and B, easily in a few minutes.
9. Are there parking slots for my car at LAX Airport?
Yes, there are parking options available at LAX airport. The prices for parking depend on the terminal you are flying out of and how long you will be parked. For more information, please visit the LAX Parking website.
So as you might notice, we have gathered all the necessary information for passengers who have flights to and from Los Angeles via American Airlines so you can have a better understanding of what to expect in case you are planning to travel soon.
We have included videos from vloggers who have personally gone through the experience of flying with American Airlines at LAX airport so you can get a first-hand look and be more prepared for your upcoming flight.
Given that over 25% of all flights out of LAX are operated by American Airlines, it’s likely that at some point you’ll find yourself flying with them out of Los Angeles. We hope that this blog post has given you everything you need to know about American’s terminal at LAX so that you can make your travel experience as stress-free as possible!
Los Angeles International Airport
Address: 1 World Way, Los Angeles, CA 90045, United States
Telephone Number: 855) 463 5252
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/LAInternationalAirport
Google Map Location
Here’s a map guide to the location of the LAX Terminal where American Airlines has bases.
Terminal 4 LAX Airport
Please check this map location guide from Google of the Terminal 4 building in Los Angeles International Airport for your reference:
Terminal 5 LAX Airport
Please check this map location guide from Google of the Terminal 5 building in Los Angeles International Airport for your reference:
Terminal B LAX Airport
Please check this map location guide from Google of the Terminal B (TBIT) building in Los Angeles International Airport for your reference: